Monday, March 25, 2013

A little bit twisted...

Well, Gertrude officially decided to punish me for my lack of attentiveness to her and this blog lately.  Other than using Gertrude to make roasted sweet potatoes (aka. the staple of my diet), I have had very little time to do anything except for running and studying for the last few weeks.... Luckily, I am FINALLY on spring break. And that means Gertrude and I are reunited.

On Sunday night I wanted to make something, but I didn't really feel like going to the store because I had just gone a few hours earlier and spent wayyyyy too much money.  Whenever I don't feel like going to the store to buy ingredients for a new recipe, I end up making some sort of bread product.  I didn't feel like making just bread though, so I settled on soft pretzels!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Mall-Pretzels/Detail.aspx

I loosely followed the above recipe with a few modifications:

1)I tried to make them healthy, so I substituted whole wheat flour for all-purpose flour
2) I accidentally put 2 cups of water into the dough (instead of 1.5).  The 2 cups of water was for the part when you dip the pretzels in baking soda with water! woops.... Didn't really seem to matter though.
3) I used my bread machine on the dough cycle because I accepted my inability to make dough.

Unfortunately, Gertrude decided NOT to cooperate.  Because the pretzels are fairly large, I had to do two batches.  I was very unhappy to see that the bottoms of the entire first batch were black... great, thanks Gertrude.  I also did not have any parchment paper, so that could have been part of the problem (I guess I shouldn't blame it allllll on Getrude).  Anyways, I took the burnt ones out and put the new batch in.  As I was waiting for the second batch to cook, I decided to try and scape off the black bottoms of the first batch because I thought the pretzels were salvageable.   I was surprisingly successful at this scraping effort, and as I was sitting there all pleased with my ability to save the pretzels, I realized I had forgotten about the batch in the oven.... big mistake.  Those ones were all black on the bottom and I pretty much gave up on trying to save them.

So, I ended up covering my six salvaged pretzels with melted butter with cinnamon sugar.... I put a fairly generous amount on to make up for the fact they may still taste a bit burnt.  Luckily they were pretty good...









No comments:

Post a Comment