Thursday, June 6, 2013

When life hand you lemons, add more butter.

This past Wednesday was another one of my roommate's birthdays (leaving me as the only 20 year old left in the house!).  I have decided that weekend birthdays are much easier for the cake bakers, since some of the cakes I would love to make are a bit too elaborate for me to successfully complete while trying to go through my daily schedule.  After not-so-subtly asking the birthday girl the day before her birthday what type of dessert she would like, she gave me five different options that I could choose from in order to create an element of surprise.  I found that the one that I could most easily squeeze (pun intended) into my day was this one http://www.ziplist.com/recipes/574736-Lemony_Lemon_Brownies.

These was actually not made in Gertrude, since my trusty sidekick and I wanted to actually surprise the birthday girl so we headed down the street to some friends' house to use their oven. Funny story about making these... If you read the instructions, you will see it calls for 1/2 cup butter.  This should be a very simple piece of instruction to follow for a fairly avid baker like myself.  However, the butter I was using was not in the normal shape.... it was longer and thinner than usual.  For some reason in my head, I thought that I needed to add TWO sticks of butter to make 1/2 cup.  So I did.... and I did not realize until they were baking that I may possibly have doubled the amount of butter.  But honestly, can you ever go wrong with doubling the amount of butter? Of course not.  After putting both lemon glaze and  frosting on these bad boys, I was pretty positive that these would be pretty delicious.  And I was right! They were gone within a matter of hours (to our credit, it was an 8 by 8 pan, not 9 by 13). Think lemon fudge.

To conclude, I want to give a special shout-out to my trusty lemon zestor... without your fine lemon zesting (and juicing) technique, none of this would possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment