Monday, May 20, 2013

Not-so-special (albeit delicious) brownies

This past Saturday, my household posted a BBQ.  Every time there is even a semblance of an excuse for me to make something delicious, I will.  I originally had settled on making ice cream with the ice cream machine  I remembered I had....yes, another unnecessary kitchen appliance.  Unfortunately, I forgot to put the ice cream canister thing in the freezer until the day I needed it.  The instructions said freezing the canister could take anywhere from 6-24 hours so needless to say, I was hoping for six.  I soon found out though that my  freezer is Gertrude's cold0blooded brother.... we will call him Brutus.  Basically Brutus is just as unreliable and angsty as Gertrude is, and because I have not yet fostered a  close, understanding relationship with Brutus as I have with Getrude, he was not playing nice.  Long story short, my ice cream was more like a milk shake.... if that.  It was very disappointing. I even tried it again the next day after the can had frozen for a good 20 hours, and that still did not work! I guess the instructions manual was not kidding when it says it can take up to 24 hours to freeze.

Luckily, I had decided on saturday before the ice cream fail that I would make some small treat to accompany the ice cream.  Well, that obviously turned out to be the main treat, but luckily these brownies were pretty darn good.  I cut straight to the chase when finding a recipe by googling "best brownies" and I came up with this recipe:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/best-brownies/

I rarely make JUST brownies (usually they are accompanied by some cookie dough and/or caramel and/or peanutbutter magical goodness), but since I was supposed to have ice cream with them, I decided to go with old fashioned brownies.  I should have doubled the batch, because they turned out wonderful; fudgy and chewy... just as brownies should be!



1 comment:

  1. I made these brownies with some modifications and they were great, though admittedly pretty full proof. My roommate and I browned the butter before adding it and splashed in some almond extract in addition to Vanilla. We also used a different frosting recipe since we were out of powdered sugar. But the result was amazing, lots of great reviews!

    ReplyDelete